The Master’s of Science with a Specialization in Physics is designed as a continuity program for students of the Undergraduate Degree in Physics with a Specialization in Astronomy at UCN (LFA-UCN). This program is also open to graduates of Physics and similar programs from universities in Chile and abroad.
The program is designed to train professionals in the use of mathematical and computational tools and scientific instrumentation, contributing to the development of research in the field. In the case of astronomy, students will gain experience in observation, reduction and analysis of data.
Graduates of this program will be capable of providing technical, theoretical and computing support to research teams, and will be prepared to teach and to present their results at scientific seminars and international conferences.
The main objective of this program is to train graduates with a solid basis in Physics and research experience in the field of physics or astronomy, preparing participants to continue onto doctoral programs in Physics or Astronomy in Chile or abroad. Graduates of the program will have a depth of knowledge that allows them to teach at the university level.
Candidates will be graduates with a degree in Physics or a related field. Plan of Studies This program has a duration of two years. Classes take place during the daytime on a full time basis, and students should dedicate themselves exclusively to the program.
Plan of Studies
Introductory Elective Courses:
• Instrumental Astronomy
• Low Dimensionality Systems
• Elements of Quantum Information and Computing • Raman Microscopy
• Introduction to Particle Physics Advanced
• Advanced Statistical Mechanics
• Transport in Nanostructures
• Quantum Optics
• Atomic Force Microscopy
• Quantum Field Theory
• Advanced Astrophysics
• Green Functions in Electronic Transport
• Thermoelectrical Transport in Quantum Dot Systems
• Undergraduate degree in Physics or Astronomy, or any degree or professional qualification equivalent in level and content to the LFA-UCN program from universities in Chile or abroad.
• Minimum average grade of 5.0 (scale of 1-7) for undergraduate degree. Applicants with grades lower than 5.0 should sit the entrance examination in the following disciplines: Classical Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics, Statistical Mechanics and Electromagnetism.
• Proof of English language level upper intermediate (TOEFL, TOEIC or equivalent). Students who do not provide proof of their level must take an English proficiency test.
|General Fee||$285.000.- (CLP)|
|1st year Enrollmente Fee:||$2.600.000 (CLP)|
|Total Program Fee||$5.200.000 (CLP)|
|Observations||Program fee does not include general fees or cost of academic diploma.|
*2020 Admissions Fees
Campus and Schedule
This is a full-time program.
Director: Juan Cristóbal Rojas Gómez- Lobos
Telephone: (56-55) 2355334
Secretary: Eliamara Arias
Telephone: (56-55) 2355502