Since 1990, the master’s program in Sciences with a Specialization in Mathematics at UCN has trained graduates with a solid scientific basis in their discipline and who are capable of forming part of research teams.
The program includes provisions for continuity of studies with the UCN Doctorate in Sciences with a specialization in Mathematics, under which students of the Master’s program who show outstanding performance during the first year of the program may enter the Doctoral program directly.
The scientific activity of the program is based on the studies carried out by research groups at the Department of Mathematics in the fields of Matrix Algebra, Linear Numerical Algebra, Differential Equations, Dynamic Systems, Control Theory, Actions and Foliations.
The objective of the Master’s of Science with a Specialization in Mathematics is to train mathematical scientists with a solid basis in a defined area of mathematical knowledge, with a critical approach, strong methodological foundations for research and the capability to integrate into mathematical research teams. Graduates will be well placed to continue their studies to the doctoral level or to carry out university-level teaching in the field.
Candidates will be graduates of programs with a duration of at least 8 academic semesters in Mathematics or similar fields at universities in Chile or abroad.
Plan of Studies
The program has a duration of two years. Classes take place during the daytime on a full-time basis, and students should give the program their exclusive dedication. The Plan of Studies consists of six obligatory courses to be taken during the first year, three elective courses, a thesis project and final examination.
• MAE01 Numerical Analysis
• MAE03 Differential Equations
• MAE04 Matrix Analysis
• MAE07 Foliations and Geometry
• MAE08 Lie Groups and Algebras
• MAE09 System Dynamics
• MAE12 System Dynamics Topics
• MAE13 Fluid Mechanics Topics II
• MAE15 Ergodic Theory
• MAE17 Actions of Locally Free Groups
• MAE20 Non-Negative Matrices
• MAE21 Hyperbolic Dynamics
• MAE28 Spectral Graph Theory Topics
• MAE31 Spectral Graph Theory
• MAE32 Differential Equations
• MAE33 Fluid Mechanics Topics I
• MAE34 Linearization of Singularities and Fixed Points
• MAE35 Methods of Qualitative Theory in Non-Linear Dynamics
Candidates for the Master’s of Science with a Specialization in Mathematics will have an undergraduate degree or equivalent professional qualification in Mathematics granted by a university in Chile or abroad and with a duration of at least eight academic semesters.
Candidates with an undergraduate degree or professional qualification in a related discipline that fulfills the requirements of the program may also apply. Candidates should send the following information via email or ordinary mail by October 30th of each year, for admission the following year.
The following documents should be submitted:
• Program application form (form available at www.mat.ucn.cl).
• Photocopy of undergraduate degree or professional title.
• Photocopy of national ID card or Passport.
• Transcript of grades from undergraduate degree.
• Curriculum vitae (documented).
• 2 academic letters of recommendation, to be sent directly to the Program Director (format available at www.mat.ucn.cl).
|General Fee||$278.000.- (CLP)|
|1st year Enrollment Fee||$2.500.000 (CLP)|
|Total Program Fees||$5.000.000 (CLP)|
|Observations||Program fee does not include general fees or cost of academic diploma.|
* 2019 Admission Fees
Campus and Schedule
Schedule: Daytime, monday to friday
Director: Elva Ortega Torres
Telephone: (56-55) 2355576
Secretary: Dániza Ramírez
Telephone: (56-55) 2355573