This Master’s program aims to prepare highly specialized scientists capable of integrating into and creatively contributing to research teams and/or academic institutions. The program has been accredited since 2009 by the National Accreditation Commission (CNA). With an accreditation period of 8 years, this is one of the most prestigious Marine Sciences programs in the country.
This program is delivered by academics from the Faculty of Marine Sciences, the Departments of Marine Biology and Aquaculture and CEAZA (the Center for Advanced Studies in Arid Zones), as well as visiting professors from other academic institutions.
Participants in prior versions of the program have come from Chile as well as Peru, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Spain, El Salvador, Mexico, Brazil, Ecuador, Norway, Colombia, Argentina, Cuba, the USA and France.
The Master’s of Marine Sciences with a Specialization in Coastal Resources aims to prepare graduates to carry out original research as well as teaching at the undergraduate and postgraduate level. By training specialized professionals, the program aims to contribute to innovation and support the conservation of the environment by developing scientific and technological research.
Candidates should hold an undergraduate degree in Life Sciences or a similar field from a university in Chile or abroad, or an equivalent academic qualification resulting from a program of at least 8 semesters in length and equivalent level and content.
Plan of Studies
The program includes options for specialization through courses in specific areas of the discipline of marine sciences. These should be considered as a complementary area of training and a contribution to the student’s thesis project. Each student will work with an Academic Committee, chaired by their Supervisor, who will define their specific Plan of Studies.
Candidates for the Master’s Program in Marine Sciences with a Specialization in Coastal Resources should meet the following criteria:
- Undergraduate degree in Life Sciences or a similar field from a university in Chile or abroad, or an equivalent academic qualification resulting from a program of at least 8 semesters in length and equivalent level and content.
Applications to the program will be evaluated by the Postgraduate Program Committee twice a year: in January for admission in the first academic semester and in June for admission in the second semester. The Committee may approve or reject applications. In order to apply, candidates should submit a file containing the following documentation:
- Copy of National ID Card or Passport
- High-resolution digital photograph against a white background
- Letter of application to the program
- Letter from sponsoring professor
- Undergraduate degree certificate
- Transcript of grades from undergraduate degree
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two letters of recommendation, to be sent privately to the program (very important).
- Outline of research project
- Letter explaining sources of funding
- Academic English comprehension test to be taken by the candidate as part of the admissions process.
The Curriculum Vitae should include contact details, a list of publications, presentations given at conferences and seminars, teaching experience and research experience.
Attach manuscripts of all publications and certificates of participation in conferences, seminars and assistantships. Candidates should also include any other relevant information on the projects that they have participated in as a researcher or research assistant and any awards they have obtained.
The research outline should make use of the following structure:
- Introduction, with theoretical framework surrounding the issue that the candidate wishes to address in their work, with an up-to-date bibliographical review.
- Research question or hypothesis for the research project.
- General and Specific Objectives associated with the question or hypothesis.
- Expected results.
- Other operational aspects that ensure the viability of the proposal, including the facilities and methodology used for sampling, experiments and analyses, as well as any funding that the candidate has secured or hopes to obtain and the period required to carry out the study.
- Applications will be reviewed and approved or rejected by the Postgraduate Program Committee.
|General Fees||$285.000.- (CLP)|
|1st Year Enrollment Fee||$2.800.000.- (CLP)|
|Total Program Fees:||$5.600.000.- (CLP)|
|Observations:||Program Fees include stamp value of academic diploma.|
*2020 Admission Fees
Campus and Schedules
Classes will begin in March of each year
Director: Guillermo Luna – Jorquera
Telephone: (56-51) 2209816